Vegetarian Ziti (or Penne)
1 Tbsp Butter
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 can Low Sodium Garbanzo Beans (Chick Peas)
1 medium Zucchini, diced
2 medium Carrots, diced
1 cup sliced Cremini Mushrooms
1 cup chopped Walla Walla Sweet Onion (or any sweet onion)
1 can Diced Tomatoes
1 cup Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
1 box Whole Wheat Penne or Ziti pasta
1 tsp Sea Salt
1 tsp Black Pepper
2 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
1 Tbsp Creole Seasoning (Tony Cachere's)
4 oz Shredded Asiago Cheese (1 tbsp. per serving)
1. Cook pasta according to box instructions.
2. Heat large skillet over medium high heat with 2 Tbsp Olive Oil and 1 Tbsp Butter.
3. Add onions, carrots, garbanzo beans and mushrooms and saute until the onions are translucent.
4. Add the zucchini, diced tomatoes, vegetable broth and all the seasonings to the skillet, reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
5. In a large bowl combine cooked pasta and the vegetable mixture and let sit for about 10 minutes before serving.
6. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp of Asiago Cheese on each bowl.
We like to serve pasta dishes like this with skillet toast!